Need help to improve motivation this New Year? If you’re anything like me, you find the winter months long and slow.
I have many ideas but little motivation to carry them through so I’m always looking for ways I can improve motivation and increase my energy levels.
How I Improve Motivation:
Managing my mental health and being kinder to myself is something I’ve worked hard on over the last 9 months and, whilst I certainly haven’t accomplished everything, I feel more relaxed and happier than I have in a long time.
Some of the things I’ve done to help myself include surrounding myself with positive people, improving the way I eat and taking time to notice and appreciate all that I’m experiencing.
I used to be a person that willed the week away looking forward to the weekend, to a holiday, to next year and so on. But I soon learned, particularly thought a Mindfulness course that the path to feeling happier was being happy NOW.
It’s quite likely that if you don’t feel happy today, what difference will next week make. You’ll feel the same, just be in a different place. (And this is why many people who win the Lottery are no happier).
It took quite a mental shift to be able to do it, but now I find the good in each day. I take time to notice the good things people do, I appreciate the small moments and look forward to each day as something individual.
I don’t wish them away any more.
And I can genuinely say I feel happier and more content. Those around me have noticed a difference too.
Furthermore I don’t put too much pressure on myself. I go with the flow more. I let things be and don’t feel guilty or ashamed if I haven’t changed them, made a difference or finished a job I set out to do. It will happen. Eventually.
It doesn’t mean I have a lower expectation of myself, more that I feel comfortable taking my time over things to ensure my mind stays healthy.
I don’t kill myself to get things done, instead I take time out to do something for myself every day.
It might be that I read a book, I watch a favourite box set episode, enjoy a coffee with a friend or spend time researching some new beauty products! Whatever it is, I do it without guilt. I treat it like another job that needs to be done.
Now I’m sure this approach won’t work for everyone and you may laugh and say these things are inconsequential. But for me, they work and I’ve found them to be essential to my happiness and good mental health. You could give them a try.
In terms of motivation then, I know that in the winter my levels are lower. I often look for ways to improve motivation and being quite a sentimental type, I love a good motivational quote.
We have them on art around the house mostly and the girls love them too. Theirs are mostly around feminism, bravery and courage but they seem to embrace them so I feel I’ve done a good job there!
So if you love a good motivational quote to help improve motivation for you, check out my collection of 19 favourites to help you move forward in whatever you need to do.
19 Motivational Quotes
- Anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve – J. K. Rowling
- Be so good they can’t ignore you – Steve Martin
- If you can dream it, you can do it – Walt Disney
- I don’t count my sit-ups; I only start counting when it starts hurting because they’re the only ones that count – Muhammad Ali
- I didn’t get there by wishing for it or hoping for it, but by working for it – Estée Lauder
- It doesn’t matter how slow you go as long as you don’t stop – Confucius
- If you don’t like how things are, change it! You’re not a tree – Jim Rohn
- The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend feeling sorry for themselves – Barbara Corcoran
- Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from – Jodie Foster
- If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is – Angelina Jolie
- It always seems impossible until it is done – Nelson Mandela
- One day or day one – Paulo Coelho
- Every morning you have two choices: Continue to sleep with your dreams or wake up and chase them -Carmelo Anthony
- Don’t give it five minutes if you’re not going to give it five years – Meghan Markle
- Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway – Earl Nightingale
- Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there – Will Rogers
- Your problem isn’t the problem, it’s your attitude about the problem – Ann Brashares
- Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong – Mandy Hale
- Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about – Winston Churchill
I hope you’ve enjoyed these quotes and they’ve helped you improve motivation this New Year.
What do you do to improve motivation or look after your Mental Health?
Let me know in the comments below